Healthy and beautiful hair not only adds to your confidence but also is a sign of great health of a person. Harsh environment and chemical assaults, junk food and diet deficient in nutrients can lead to hair related problems such as hair falling out, infection, itching and flaking over the scalp and dandruff.
Natural Remedies for Dandruff
Dandruff, also known as Pityriasis simplex capillitii, may be the result of disturbed metabolic process of the body, improper diet, untidy hair, use of strong shampoo, insufficient rinsing of hair after shampoo, poor blood circulation and excessive shedding of outermost cells of the scalp. Here are some home remedies to get rid of dandruff in a natural way:
- Soak Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) seeds (10g) for overnight and then prepare a paste of the same. To this paste, add Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf juice (5ml). This mixture should be applied all over the scalp. Clean the scalp after an hour.
- Head massage with pure Coconut (Cocos nucifera) oil (5ml) is quite effective in treating dandruff.
- Shikakai (Acacia concinna) seeds powder (3g) and drained water from cooked rice (100ml) should be mixed thoroughly and the hair should be rinsed with this mixture.
- Equal quantity of Coconut (Cocos nucifera) oil and Lemon (Citrus limon) fruit juice is very effective in curing dandruff. Gentle massage on to the scalp with this combination followed by a “steam-towel-wrap over the head” for fifteen minutes is very good.
- Take Coconut (Cocos nucifera) and Castor (Ricinus communis) oil in equal amounts and massage into the hair roots.
- Gentle massage with Mustard (Brassica nigra) oil along with a little Lemon (Citrus limon) juice is also very effective in curing dandruff.
- Take 5 ml of almond (Prunus glandulosa) oil and add to it a tablespoon of Amla (Emblica offcinalis) juice. To cure dandruff, apply this on the scalp.
- Juice of Hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) flower is also a good remedy to cure dandruff.
- Take a cup of yoghurt and to it, mix 2ml Lemon (Citrus limon) juice and 3g Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) seed powder. Apply the mixture on the head and leave it for 30 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. It helps in strengthening of hair and removal of dandruff.
Other Important Measures
Though we have various herbal remedies to treat dandruff, the most important of all is to keep hair clean. Regular oil massage plays a pivotal role in combating dandruff. Hair should not be combed when it is wet. As hair is mostly protein, a diet rich in protein such as fish, nuts, beans, cheese, eggs, cereals, seeds and yogurt should be a part of your routine. You can make your diet rich with iron, calcium, potassium, vitamins, fruits, green leafy vegetables, sprouts, salads, milk and milk products. Drink two liters of water everyday. Cut down on cold, salty, sugary drinks and high calorie foods. Follow a regular exercise regime. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and personal hygiene are other essential factors for healthy hair and dandruff control.
Note: These remedies are for information purposes only. If your skin is sensitive to any of the natural ingredients mentioned above, consult a dermatologist before following these home remedies.